Thursday, July 20, 2006

Whatever next

It's been a bit bleak on the blog front because to be perfectly honest, we've not done any calls worth blogging about as it's all been stuff that could easily have been dealt with by a GP.

I've only ever been in an ambulance as a patient once. It was in Lincolnshire, and I wasn't given the choice by my GP who booked me into hospital on an urgent call. Most of the stuff we've been to this last week or so I wouldn't have dreamed of calling an ambulance for.
For example:

A woman with abdo pain....for 9 months. And no, she wasn't pregnant - not at 68 years old.

A man with penis pain for 3 days and hadn't considered seeing his GP.

Until today, the biggest time-waster of the week was a 23 year old who called because he'd had a cough since the night before. He supposedly had difficulty in breathing. When I suggested he sit up a bit to make his breathing easier if he was finding it difficult, he just curled himself up on the bed and ignored us. We referred him to his GP.

The call that really made me have to bite my lip was a call to a woman who was thirsty!

Still, it goes with the call Mark Myers took for an ingrowing toenail....

5 Comments:

Blogger caramaena said...

Thirsty??? You have got to be kidding.

11:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But not too thirsty to summon up the saliva to speak to the 999 operator ...

11:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the love of GOD!!! How did thirsty not get weeded out and referred to NHS Direct or something? In fact why didn't all of the above. Think there needs to be much stricter triaging of the calls. As for the cough boy, I would have told him exactly what I thought and I usually do (I'm an A&E doc).

10:22 am  
Blogger Carmelo said...

still there?

7:11 pm  
Blogger Defibrilator said...

LOL - At least they keep us in a job. :-P

Defib

12:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home