Thursday, May 04, 2006

Paramedic Pre-entry Assessments

I’ve not posted anything lately because I’ve been spending the time with my head in the books studying for the written part of the paramedic pre-entry assessment – which I took yesterday.  It comprises of two papers – firstly a true/false and multiple choice question paper, for which you get an hour to complete, which is then marked.  If successful, then you go on to do the second paper, which is the Short Answer Essay paper – five questions, often with more than one part to each question, for which you get two hours to write the lot.

First we had the true/false and Multiple Choice question paper, comprising of 100 questions, and a pass mark of 85%.

I looked at the first question and my heart sank.  I hadn’t a clue and had to guess.   Can’t say what the question was because others waiting to do the assessment might see and that would be cheating.

I was convinced that I had failed it, and made sure I’d taken all of my belongings out of the examination room at the end.  Imagine my shock when I had to go back in to do the essay paper – I’d been successful in the true/false and multiple choice paper.

I don’t know the outcome of the essay paper – I managed to answer all 5 questions, but I didn’t manage to finish the last question.  I can only hope I’ve done enough to get through.  I’ll find out in the next 2 or 3 weeks if I’ve got through – but to be honest, I don’t hold out much hope.  If I have been successful, I’ll have to go for a practical assessment, involving managing a cardiac arrest scenario, and a patient assessment scenario.

My fingers are crossed – but I’m not holding my breath!

16 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

It'll all be worth it in the end, congratulations so far and good luck!!

3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, well done you. You actually sound a bit like at the meoment.

4:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wat we need another jonhny no it all as a para

9:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh good luck.

And to "anonymous" - not all Johnnies are know-it-alls. Some of them are truly insufferable. And some of them are not. We're all different people; the only thing we have in common is that we joined SJA for some reason. Probably not even the same reason.

Sorry, that rant's been trying to get out for a while.

10:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I done mine the other day, i passed the TF/multi choice by 97%, unfortunately i failed the essays by 1.5%!! They're being very stringent with the marking, as you know trying to whittle the numbers down.....
Im sure i'll either congratulate or commiserate with you soon (i know you work in the same sector as me, just still trying to figure out who you are!)

As for the other anon comment above, DO shut up and FO!

SWbod x

1:30 am  
Blogger Spike said...

Best of luck.

Shut up, Anon #2.

4:53 am  
Blogger rob said...

Hey a couple of questions for you - what is the structure of the setup there in the UK - you can work as an EMT before you become a paramedic?

And... what does the essay component comprise of? I remember I got asked to write all about "A day in the life of a paramedic" - pretty stoopid when I wasn't yet one, so how could I possibly know!

7:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anonymous: Most Johnners who are HCPs that I've use their knowledge to help other johnners, either through formal training and/or knowledge transfer at duties. And I know at least one paramedic who is quite happy to come out with SJ as just a first-aid foot soldier.
I take my hat off to people who see ill and injured people all day at work, then give up their free time to see even more ill and injured people.

10:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck

Adam

10:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FAO rob, as i believe in all uk services we have to be EMT before training as a paramedic. Some services you really have to start at the bottom (PTS- patient transport service)and work your way up with subseqeunt training. Luckily when i joined LAS it was straight to the EMT role (or QAT as was known then), after training, passing the 'millars' exam after a year then another operational year after that are EMTs eligable to apply for paramedic training, with (supposedly) support and sponsorship from your line manager.
Also now becoming popular is the direct entry Paramedic science degree course available to 18+, students still get trained as EMT then medic but takes in total 3years and obviously a degree at the end of it. Hope that helps!

swbod xx

11:53 am  
Blogger caramaena said...

Good luck!

4:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bwts strikes again

5:26 pm  
Blogger rob said...

Thanks swbod - so is there a major difference in skills between the two or is it more a difference in name only?

12:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, if you did hold your breath, South West London would be thrilled....

2:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a difference in skills and it does vary in every sevice in the UK. In london us techs can give certain drugs (aspirin,GTN,glucagon,glucose, ventolin,adrenaline for asthma/ anaphylaxis, paracetamol, O2 and entonox). We can read and interpret 12-lead ECGs and all the other standard stuff,we should also be able to use soon LMAs. Medics do all that plus ETI and cannulate plus have a lot more drugs to give (atropine,lidocaine,morphine to name a few). With being a medic the responsibility also falls on their shoulders, even if they drive on a job and it goes belly up, thet are the ones called to coroners.This is why i love my crewmate ;-)

11:50 am  
Blogger Steve said...

swbod - when you think you've worked it out, send me an e-mail. If you're right, I promise I will be honest and say so.

Rob - as the others have said really, but they missed having the privilege of having to pay £60 per year (I think) to the Health Professions Council for registration!

8:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home